Friday, September 26, 2014

Knitted cushions

It's autumn already. Days get shorter and shorter, tea becomes my favourite drink, after the coffee of course, and my knitting needles call my name. This time I craved something fast and effective, therefore I went for cushions.




We got a new sofa recently which badly needed some new accessories. I wanted to achieve some rustic look. Thus, I went for natural materials and big needles. I had several yarns to choose from. I rarely go for only one colour or piece. Maybe that's why I often have 10 projects in progress and none finished. However, I started the wasted yarn and bamboo needles which I bought in Florida last month. The yarn just called for a pillow so I bind on some 40 stitches on my 7mm bamboo needles and in a few hours it was done. Then I decided one is not enough and I need to make a colourful set. I went for some more yarn and came home with several types of cotton, wool and wool mix. Soon I had two more pillows, total of three, with no backs around. I knew I wanted to have fabric backs but had nothing at home. I did some fabric hunting and came home with a few linen and cotton variations. Here is what I did to make the complete pillow.




 The technique was very simple. Bind on 40-45 stitches, knit on the right side and purl on the wrong side. Sometimes purl on the right site to get some texture. According to your yarn and needles, knit until you have a square of 50 x 50 cm (20 x 20 inches). Keep in mind that the knit, especially when done on big needles, is very stretchy. Let the knitted square aside. Take some fabric of your choice and cut two 50 x 50 cm (20 x 20 inches). If you want to have a zipper now it is the time to attach it too. I went for pillows which can fit into my washing machine and I skipped the zipper. You can choose any type of fabric but the best much to natural fibers will be natural fabrics - cotton,linen, wool. Then make a sandwich of your fabric and knit - have the knit between the two fabric pieces and go to your sewing machine. Sew from four sides and live a small place to turn the pillow inside out. Fill with polyester batting and sew the opening. Voila!








No comments:

Post a Comment